Tuesday, September 16, 2008

C Ya Beijing









This was going to be the blog but internet troubles.
Hi Guys, email today because attempt to blog had everything I wrote converted to Chinese. While interesting not much use.Monday was a national holiday[mid autumn/moon cake holiday] Lily sent us a very large box of moon cakes which was lovely but they are not really our style. We had managed to change Kate and Casey's flight to Tuesday as they had Monday off which was good. We went into Tianmen square and then to the forbidden city. It was all very spectacular. Because of the Olympics it had all had a touch up with plenty of new paint so was looking good. This of course took 2-3 hours so lunch was appreciated.We finished off at the silk market which was as hectic if not more than usual. 2 hours was enough for me so I took the up to then shopping home and the crew stayed on for another couple. We walked around our district and found a very agreeable place for dinner and walked home in the most torrential downpour you can imagine[more than just soaked].Tuesday saw Kate off at 8. We then went off to the Birds nest for a couple of hours of Paralymics. The stadium is fantastic and it really was simply magic watching the events. There were quite a few finals and the efforts of the competitors had the body tingling[blind runners/long jump amputees etc] I think the disabilities added to the huge buzz and there efforts would beat most able bodied. One of the best sporting events I have ever been to. From there we went to the wall at Mutianyu. Access is by chair lift. It is much less busy than that at Badaling[spelling]. It is easily as impressive. You get down in a tobaggin down a track. I was a little surprised about its speed and managed to topple out without injury but a little chinese shouting from the guys doing the marshalling. Back into Beijing for dinner which includes a dish of mash potato[cold] but enjoyed by Penny. Home to the hotel and slept very well.Today is the summer palace and Cam and Penny head back and I go down to Yiwu in the morning. Fabulous time made so special by those I am with.I hope all is good there. Thinking of you. Love you. jiggs
That was a bit lazy I know but there is a lady at this internet place at the airport who points at copy and paste in the chinese.
I am waiting for the plane to Yiwu. It was sad to say goodbye to Mr Lui and Nancy. Certainly would get Nancy again for any further visits to Beijing.
Yesterday we went to the summer palace and that was most enjoyable. We found a place where you could dress up in old style chinese gear. Cameron did not mind a bit as he scored the emperor garb and there was a keeness from passing by woman to have their photo taken with him. After that lunch was of a dumpling variety[ I started looking like one and it is getting worse]. Still it was beautiful.
Cam and Penny went off to the airport and I caught a cab down to fanuling street.[4china money 10 fame] There was the oppurtunity to eat centipedes crickets and other gross examples of the bottom of the food chain. I decided not to stoop that low. In the evening I dined alone at a local restaurant enjoying the delights of some pigs ear.
I am looking forward to catching up with Katie again this evening.
Love and Miss you all. Jiggsxxx

1 comment:

Hunnah said...

PIG's ear??? Oh Pups, I think you have stooped even lower than crickets!!

Have a good safe trip to Yiwu and have a great time seeing Kate's school and her new wee town :) I'm looking forward to hearing more!

Love you xx